I woke up this morning with a little extra energy. Probably nervous energy since I STILL DON'T HAVE ANY EGGS! Oh well. The ones from the fridge is still there so I know I'm not missing any. I wanted to play with my dehydrator again so I went thru the cupboards to see what I could do in it. I found a half empty jar of applesauce in the fridge.
TA DA! Apple fruit roll up. Just poured in on the leather tray.
Next I came across some of my frozen strawberries. The blender, a little corn syrup (they are very tart this year) and a little bit of my canned strawberry jam for liquid. Strawberry fruit roll up.
I like granola and have always wanted to make some, beside I didn't want to run it with just 2 trays so I looked around the cupboards (again) to see what could go in it. I found 3 cups of oats, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1 cup of honey, 1 cup of coconut, 1/2 ts of salt, 1 ts of Cinnamon, and 1/2 cup of peanut butter. The mix made 2 trays. It smells great so I think it will taste great. My mom doesn't like carrot cake, so she requested a chocolate version.
TA DA! :) I know there's a lot of controversy about jarred cake. My own personal thought is, it's cake in an air-tight sterile environment. And, come on, it's chocolate cake! Beside, they don't last long enough to poison anyone. I only have one jar of carrot cake left and that's because I hid it :)
My chocolate jar cake recipe:
1 cup butter (better for canning)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
cream well
2 cups sour milk (regular milk w/2 tb vinegar added)
3 cups flour
1 cup dry cocoa
1 ts salt
1 ts baking powder
1 ts baking soda
mix well. When all the lumps are gone add 1/2 a bag of chocolate chips. I think next time I will add some walnuts.
TA DA! Apple fruit roll up. Just poured in on the leather tray.
Next I came across some of my frozen strawberries. The blender, a little corn syrup (they are very tart this year) and a little bit of my canned strawberry jam for liquid. Strawberry fruit roll up.
I like granola and have always wanted to make some, beside I didn't want to run it with just 2 trays so I looked around the cupboards (again) to see what could go in it. I found 3 cups of oats, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1 cup of honey, 1 cup of coconut, 1/2 ts of salt, 1 ts of Cinnamon, and 1/2 cup of peanut butter. The mix made 2 trays. It smells great so I think it will taste great. My mom doesn't like carrot cake, so she requested a chocolate version.
TA DA! :) I know there's a lot of controversy about jarred cake. My own personal thought is, it's cake in an air-tight sterile environment. And, come on, it's chocolate cake! Beside, they don't last long enough to poison anyone. I only have one jar of carrot cake left and that's because I hid it :)My chocolate jar cake recipe:
1 cup butter (better for canning)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
cream well
2 cups sour milk (regular milk w/2 tb vinegar added)
3 cups flour
1 cup dry cocoa
1 ts salt
1 ts baking powder
1 ts baking soda
Pour 1 cup into a sterile wide mouth, well greased pint jar. Cook at 325 degrees for 55 minutes. 10 minutes before the timer goes off boil the new lids. Put the lids on as soon as they come out. Mine sealed almost immediately. It's a moist rich cake. Of course we had to try one :D This recipe will make 8 pints.
No comments:
Post a Comment