July 26, 2009

old school :)

Yes, you can have cheap pectin!
Cut up about 4 pounds of tart, under-ripe, green apples...seeds, skin and all. Place in a pan and just cover with water on med/high heat until a soft boil. Lower heat and simmer until soft..about 20-30 minutes. Strain into another pot through a fine sieve or cheesecloth over night (I'm a morning person. You could start it in the morning and finish in the evening). Take that liquid and cook until reduced by half. TA DA! Pectin.
I have apple trees, so now (for next year) I have pectin :) Because you have apples AFTER you have strawberries I will need to make all the pectin I think I will use this year for next years canning. Luckily pectin cans well. Simply hot water bath it for 5 minutes and on the shelf it goes.
Testing Pectin
First you need to find out how strong your pectin batch is. Place 1 teaspoon on a small plate. Add 2 tablespoons rubbing alcohol and mix. Science comes next. If you end up with a large clot you have strong pectin for strawberries and other low acid/pectin foods. If you have several small clots you can cook it down some more or use it for foods that already have a high pectin content, like currents. (ps, you have to toss the stuff on the plate, don't eat it)
Using Pectin
I am a picky eater and will be canning what I like, so, the only jam I will be canning is apple jelly and strawberry jam. I won't need to play with the pectin as much as some one more adventurous. Strawberries will need the full strength and apples less. The average amount for me will be about 2/3 cup for about 4 cups of strawberry jam mix. My strawberry mix would contain about 4 cups of mashed berries (I like them very mashed), about 4 tablespoons of lemon juice and 2/3 cup of pectin, adding about 3 cups of sugar after the first boil following standard directions, except that I will be doubling or tripling the batches and saving an incredible amount of time and energy. Bottling it is a breeze, it's the cooking that take forever so I will be canning my pectin in pints for ready to use in triple batches.
Wow, how good is free pectin :D I wish I could find green apples and try it out this year. Save myself a bundle.

No comments: