July 26, 2009

bug be gone

I came across this roaming around the net. According to one university, catnip works ten times better than deet without any of the side effects or dangers. Since it's mosquito season I'm going to try it. If any one else does, let me know how it worked for you :)


CATNIP MOSQUITO SPRITZ
MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS

  • 2 cups catnip, stemmed
  • 3-4 cups mild rice vinegar

Rinse herbs, roll lightly with a rolling pin, then place them in a clean quart jar and cover with vinegar. Seal jar and store in a dark cupboard for two weeks.

Shake jar lightly every day or so for two weeks. Strain into a clean jar, seal and refrigerate for up to 6 months unused.

To use, spritz on exposed skin and around outdoor dining area.

I found catnip at the local health food store. That's where I found the rice vinegar but if this works I have to find a cheaper place to buy it. 7$ for the catnip and about the same for 1 and 1/2 cups of vinegar.

No comments: