July 26, 2009

new skills

I have several sites I lurk on. Some funny, some wild, a couple I know in real life, most are informational like this one. I have been planning to learn how to pressure can meat for a while. After reading her article about canning meat, today I did it :) So, this is how I did it, but remember, this is my first time and if you copy me and die...well, I guess we both learned together. So, step one. Gather your supplies. I canned my favorite sausage which was on sale for a dollar a package instead of it's usual 2.89
next, brown the sausage a bit, but don't cook it all the way. Next time I will cook it a little more on low to drain more grease off. I used 6 pkges of 12 each on my griddle.
I fit 8 links in each pint that was ran thru my dishwasher. I could squeeze 9 in but I didn't want them to cook in one big lump. I filled 9 pints total.
Boil the lids for 2 minutes, place on pints, put on rings fairly tightly but don't use muscle to tighten. Place in pressure canner (following pressure canner directions) and process at 11 pounds for 75 minutes. I have a second rack so I could do 2 rows of pints.
Remove from heat and wait for the pressure gauge to reach zero and remove the lid (again following canner directions).
This is my finished product. I'm excited and will do 2 more batches tomorrow.
My mom has scared me dumb with her fear of pressure canners. I make sure I can read the gauge from across the room. She's also concerned about meat safety. Don't eat it! :) More for me. I did send a jar home with sdad so he can try it in a couple days. Me? I worked too hard to want to open one right now.
So, at this point, if I lost power for a bit I could make bread and toast it, rehydrate my dehydrated hash browns from Cosco, go get some eggs from under my chickie's butts (or in storage) and open a jar of sausage and the butter I canned last month. It would go great with the grape juice I canned last fall. That was my first canning job by myself. Fill a quart jar 1/2 full of grapes, add water, and hot water bath them as per usual. I've done that for a couple years now and I love my grape juice. I mix half my purple wine grapes and half my green table grapes so no sugar needed.
Can't wait to get started on some of the elk meat in the freezer!
Kellene, thanks for the push :)

No comments: