This was dinner last night. It was cool outside and I had been wanting to practice my 'stored' cooking. I am dabbling in emergency preparedness, meaning I want to do it but it's not the priority it should be. It's time for my monthly trip to Cosco and I'm doing my shopping list so I need to make sure the stuff I'm buying to store is stuff I want to eat. I have been trying to modify the meals we already eat, so for dinner I made a family favorite modified style. My eggs are from the store but when the chickies start laying will be from storage in the basement. My hash browns are dehydrated from Cosco. I used powdered milk for my sausage gravy over baking powder biscuits. My sausage was canned. My butter was canned. Everything was cooked in cast iron, which could have been cooked on the wood stove or the bbq'er if I had needed to. What I needed was to visualize HOW stored cooking would be. Frankly it's damn good :D I had no complaints for dinner. I have a few more meals I will be trying out on the family without telling them that I have changed anything. When I asked Grumpy how he liked dinner he said it was really good. :) Then I shared that it was food I had stored or canned. He was a little surprised but still not gung ho on the whole prep thing. I would hate to think that it will take an emergency to actually get him on board. I think that at that point it will be a little too late. :) Guess he'll be relying on me to save the day.(yumm, not quite your dads old mre's is it?)
No comments:
Post a Comment