I did it! I canned butter today :) I followed this one and took my own notes. I bought butter at Cosco for 1.44 a pound @ 4 pounds (now that I know it works I'll look for it on sale). I put my half pints on a cookie sheet in the oven at 250 for 20 minutes. While they were heating I started my butter.
Melt it at medium heat until it starts to slightly simmer. A very low simmer for 20 minutes, stir when needed so it doesn't burn. Start your lids on medium heat while melting butter.
I didn't let this batch cook for a complete 20 minutes. It still came out but took a little more work (shaking time) than the last batch.
This batch went quick. After 20 minutes take out your jars, using a ladle and mixing it up while you scoop, poor through a funnel into your jars. Wipe the jar rim with a clean towel. Place your lid on, put your ring on and tighten with your hands. No need to muscle the rings on. Wait about 10-15 minutes, until the tops start to ping. Shake each jar a couple times every 10 minutes. After the jars are warm, but not hot, place into the fridge...about another 30 minutes. Every 10 minutes give the jars a good shake so that everything is mixed nicely. Took me about 4 times before they were completely mixed and cool. Leave in the fridge for 1 more hour.
Remove, date, and put on a shelf in the back, preferably in a darker, cooler place. According to the site I took this from, it will last 3 years if not more. I do have to tell you that my family made fun of me for canning butter. Grumpy said I'm a hicker... a wanna be hick. My Dd1 said I was weird :) After all, we'll ALWAYS have butter. hmm, maybe, but I don't know how to make butter and neither do they. I am proud of myself and tomorrow I'm canning potatoes. I paid 1.88 for 25 pounds. If I screw it up I'm not losing much :) Cash and carry also has 25 lbs of carrots for a couple dollars. In 4 days I can put up butter, potatoes, carrots and some of the deer hamburger in the freezer. That would go along way if things get tight. I could do an awful lot of canning before my garden even comes in :Dside note...I like margarine. didn't care much for butter until I read the ingredients in both. Butter has cream and salt. Margarine has so many ingredients it would take too long to list them.
No comments:
Post a Comment