Prep jars. Simmer lids and bring a pot of water to boil. Warm up your canner. 1 to 2 ts of salt in each jar. Pack with rinsed green beans. Fill to one inch below rim with your hot water. wiggle your jars around (I call it the happy canning wiggle) to get the air bubbles out. Cap as directed and process quarts for 25 minutes and pints for 20 according to your canners directions.For as many short cuts as I take canning, green beans are a definite no-no for that. Always process for the full time and always in a pressure canner, not a hot water bath.
This is my latest canning gadget. I saw one in a magazine and had to order one for myself . It holds all your lids upright for easier and quicker access when you're capping your jars. I think it ran me about 12 dollars but the pure convenience was worth it. I lift it out of the water, grab a lid quickly enough not to burn myself (usually) and pop it on the jar and drop the rest back into the water for the next jar.
No comments:
Post a Comment