August 13, 2010

canning berry pie filling

I use the strawberries that I froze earlier to add to my marrionberries, but you can use any berry combination you like. In a deep pot add
  • 1 and 3/4 cup water
  • 8 and 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 2 cups of clear gel
  • 1 cup, 1 TB of lemon juice
Bring to a boil. It takes about 20 minutes and will thicken quickly as it gets hot. Add 35 cups of berries in the combination you choose. I use 2/3 marrionberry and 1/3 strawberry. Simmer 5 minutes.
pictures to be added later :)

Ladle into your hot clean jars 1 inch below rim and cap as per directions. Process in a steamer bath (or hot water bath) for 30 minutes. Makes 7 quarts of ready to eat berry pie filling, simple pour into pie crust and bake according to crust directions.

No comments: