August 15, 2009

to-MA-to/ to-MAH-to

It surprises me that cooking tomatoes is so backbreaking! Picking them is fun, it's all the work that goes into making sauce that kills my back. I have to be doing it wrong.

Blanch the tomatoes by putting them into boiling water until the skin cracks a bit.

Place them into cool water (I bleached out my sink and put them directly in cold sink water) and the skin should rub right off. I cut out the tops and bottom stems over the garbage. Then I tear the tomato in half and squeeze the seeds and juice out.

The rest of the tomato goes into what ever crock pot is needed by size. Todays crop needed the big turkey crock pot. I'm one of those people that own 4 crock pots. One for turkey and ham, a smaller oval one for pot roast, a round one for heating things like soups and sauces for gatherings and a small one for...I'm not really sure...it holds about 1 and 1/2 quarts and I'm not sure I've used it yet :D Probably a gift. Anyway, I will cook it down on low for 24 hours and can it tomorrow. No seeds and definitely not stewed tomatoes. I personally like a true sauce and this way works but it is backbreaking work. I think I will try the berry de-seeder on my next batch. Maybe go a little quicker?
I ended up with 6 quarts out of this batch. I got impatient and didn't let it cook down far enough so I'll be using it to can hamburger. Waste not want not :D

No comments: