Same unknown tart cooking apples from the applesauce.
Cored but not peeled and rough chopped in to the stew pot. Just enough water to cover the apples. Simmer until soft. While you're waiting start setting up for the next step. I haven't made apple jelly before but I remember ggrandma making it. The house smells just wonderful while the apples are cooking :) I did have mom a phone call away to ask what happens next but any mistakes made will be mine.
I used a canning pot, 2 stools and my broom for the drip support. I used some cheesecloth type material cut into a square, tied 2 corners and looped those onto the handle. I was going to use chairs like I have seen on other blogs but it put my net up too high.
Because of the splash factor I used a large ladle and put it into the opening. Don't forget to put hot pads under the pot if your floor might scorch! After everything from one pot is going into the other don't fuss with it. Let it to drip until it'd done. It took me about 1 hour. 5 cups of juice, 7 and a half of sugar and a box of pectin later and I have a great apple jelly, way too good to waste on peanut butter and I LOVE peanut butter!

No comments:
Post a Comment